Here's a quick look back at the original 1951 kitchen we started with.
We gutted that kitchen and lived with the much improved version.
This is what it looked like the morning demolition started...
it really was a cute kitchen.
Fast forward about 4 months and we're finally here...
Granite installation day!
I felt like it should be a National Holiday or something...
this was better than Christmas morning when I was a kid :)
It was somewhat of a wresting match to get it in place.
There's only one seam in this stretch of countertop...
it's in the middle of the sink and is barely noticeable.
You couldn't find it if I didn't point that out.
As soon as they were installed, I started my next project...
The sink and dishwasher weren't even hooked up yet.
Vintage coolers make great sinks.
These tiles were definitely easier to work with than the 18" and 20" floor tiles!
Mixed my own custom light grey grout :)
One of my favorite details in the kitchen.
Yes, those are tiny finishing nails I used as spacers.
I absolutely love how it's all turned out!
It's even better than I envisioned it would or could be.
Here are a few more pictures of our finished kitchen...well, 99.9% finished .
With the exception of actually expanding the size of the kitchen...
this was all done inexpensively.
Stock unfinished cabinets from Home Depot.
We were able to order 36" uppers.
I painted them myself.
We added 1'x4's and crown to the top.
The crown runs all around the kitchen for a custom look.
This isn't the route for lots of people, but we used them in our last kitchen and actually liked them.
I can repaint whenever I feel like it.
They're not $15,000 of laminate cabinets.
They came in at about $1,000.
That works for me.
They don't have self closing drawers or doors...
what's the purpose for that anyway?
The backsplash tile is from Lowes.
The porcelain floor tile is from a local store and was only $1.69 per square foot.
Our Bosch dishwasher...love...was a return at our local Best Buy...less than half the price of a new in the box one.
Cabinet hardware was purchased online...solid brass.
We reused the sink, faucet, stove and range hood from our previous kitchen.
Lanterns were a yard sale find...I removed the glass, took them apart and painted them...
$10 for the pair.
Schoolhouse lights were a Craigslist find.
Notice that the canopies at the ceiling are different.
Our electrician thought I was crazy for using the lighting I chose throughout the addition.
He soon figured out that he was correct.
We saved thousands of $$$ because I did almost all the finish work myself.
I did all the painting...
I've been busy, but I've loved every minute of it.