10 January, 2011

Floored!!

Remember this?

And this?

It was a little difficult for me because I really like doing the work myself,
but I took the advice given, and hired someone to refinish the floors.
It really was easy to rationalize the cost.
I would have to rent the sander, buy a bazillion sanding discs, hope that I got the staining part right, and then buy the Poly for the topcoats.
And did I forget to mention I may have spent days on end accomplishing what these guys did in a couple of hours!
This is how Saturday went.
The "magicians" arrived at 10:30 after picking up the supplies they needed from HD.
We took care of the last carpeted room.
They were going to tear it out for us, but we got bored and did it ourselves.
This is Taylor doing the "Happy Dance".





A picture is said to be worth a thousand words,
so I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.






The floors were sanded 3 times.
Coarse, medium, and fine grit papers were used.
They had sanders that were used right up against the baseboards.
Then, the staining began.




All of the sanding and staining was done in 6 hours!
They were back 24 hours later for the first coat of semi-gloss polyurethane.





Again, they were back in 24 hours to do the second coat of poly.


First, they hand sanded the entire floor to remove any imperfections in the first coat of poly.
Then vacuumed.
Then applied the second coat of poly.


The transformation is truly amazing!
We used a dark walnut stain.
Both the stain and poly are oil based.
The company we used is
Best Wood Floor Sanding.
They were courteous, professional and knowledgeable.
They offer free estimates too.
So if you need some work done and are in the San Antonio area you should definitely check them out!
We had a little over 500 square feet refinished.
3 sandings
1 coat of stain
1 coat of poly
1 hand sanding
1 last coat of poly
All this for the measly sum of $700.
In my book, money so well spent!!

ann marie





15 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! Your floors looks wonderful!!! I know you are just thrilled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann Marie- I love it ...love it...love it. I am always one to do things myself too...but those floors- no more--best left to professionals! I'll bet you are just over the moon at the transformation~~ Can't wait to see it reset with furniture and life in it! Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a great decision. the floor looks great and less stress on you and it was a bargin,
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! You made the right decision for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look beautiful and I'll bet they look even better in person. I love the stain. There's nothing better than the smell of freshly poly'd floors. And you probably raised the value of the house by about $5K.

    Do you have to dust all the walls now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that was amazing. Looks awesome. Can't wait to see more. I think you were right to hire a pro. We'll need to have our floors done soon too. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great deal and great work. I really like the dark stain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow - that was truly money well spent! Now you'll have the time and the energy for the things that you really like to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your floors look amazing! Love it- I love the dark stain- beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing!!! As a San Antonio realtor I am always looking for great service providers...I will keep this company in my rolodex. Can't wait to see what's next in this makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your floors look great and having them done was a smart move. I am your latest follower and happy to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a super job! I need your help over here at my house. I'm working on my stairs and it's taking for ever. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look really good and the cost was amazing. Question for you, was the dust from the sanding really bad? Did they seal the rooms off?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The dust wasn't bad at all. They had a bag on the sander that captured the majority of the dust. Then they vacuumed the floors really well. I had to dust sills and the doors, and I also swiffered the walls. I also wiped down the the windows. We didn't seal any rooms off because they're works in progress anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!