This is the climbing rose I planted last fall.
I was lucky to just keep it alive after the summer we've had.
Hot and no rain.
Now that it's gotten a little cooler, she's started to grow.
I sat with pencil and paper to draw a very simple rose trellis for over the carriage doors.
I used regular pine lumber because I knew I was painting it and it's pretty protected.
You could use cedar too.
I bought 2-2x4x8's, 2-2x4x10's and 4-2x2x8's.
My brackets are as simple as I could keep them.
I figured it wouldn't show very much once the rose covers it.
I used wood glue and 2 1/2" screws to assemble.
For the pieces that are perpendicular to the house,
I just cut the 2x2's into 2 foot lengths.
I had 16 pieces. I measured my 2x4x10's, they had a few inches cut off because of the light fixture and divided that number by 15.
Then I measured and marked and glued and screwed each one on center.
Add some paint into the mix...
A nice vintage detail for our little cottage.
Can't wait to see how it looks in the spring!